A new vision for East Kilbride
East Kilbride Masterplan
East Kilbride’s core town centre is an example of a centre that is heavily over reliant on retail uses. This has resulted in a town centre which does not fully meet the needs of the local community, lacks investment and potentially faces continued decline unless positive action is taken quickly.
In order to address the challenges key town centre stakeholders have developed an initial vision for the centre. This focuses on creating a more inclusive and sustainable centre with a greater mix of complimentary uses.
The East Kilbride town centre vision process is an opportunity to rethink how East Kilbride works. The proposals seek to rebalance, repurpose and repopulate the town centre – how do we future proof it for generations to come? The masterplan is structured around a series of key principles:
- Retail Consolidation – reduce the retail and create re-development opportunities.
- Plan a strong Urban Realm infrastructure.
- Create a new Heart for East Kilbride with the introduction of community focused hub
- Diversify the uses with strong complimentary uses and activities
- Ensure we lay the foundations to adopt strong sustainable strategies which will allow us to meet targets on social equality and de- carbonisation.
To have your say about the new direction for East Kilbride town centre we would be grateful if you could answer the following questions: